Saturday, September 29, 2018

Summer Have-Read List

It's that time again! I'm so pleased with my reading progress this year (I surpassed my goal to read at least 12 books this year. *dances*) It's getting so much better!

The first summer book I picked up is, alas, not at all very summery.
Ilyon Chronicles #5: Bitter Winter, by Jaye L. Knight *Released date isTBD
25796274
Ahh, what a story. I love seeing these friends again. I'm looking forward to reading this book again when it is released! Jaye has been working very hard on it, and I can assure you that the wait will be worth it. There is definitely a little wrapping-up going on in here, which is bittersweet... and I absolutely can't expound on this. I can tell you that Jaye is also in the process of giving herself a new pen name, Jaye Elliot, and releasing a Christian contemporary romance novel called No Chance Meeting. If this is more your thing than Christian Fantasy, or if you like both, check it out!

Fawkes, by Nadine Brandes
36576048
The truth is, long and lengthy reviews are not really my thing. I don't enjoy writing them a whole lot, but on occasion I love to read other's reviews. I really, really loved Fawkes! But you should go and read author Schuyler's review if you'd like to read something a little more in-depth about it. It's a lovely story, with a simple but thoughtful message. (Stop judging this cliche review, okay? <- But really, Schuyler puts it so well.)

Ilyon Chronicles #5.5: Lacy, by Jaye L. Knight *Release date is TBD
29618434
This was another beta-read, and therefore, it's not released yet and I will have to read it again in it's fullness. It's a tale woven with tenderness and compassion. I loved getting to see Aaron and meeting Lacy, she's sweet and you feel much compassion for her. I would make note that while Jaye does classify her books as New Adult, there was nothing inappropriate in this story. If you have any concerns, I certainly wouldn't hold them against Lacy. Jaye handles the story with a carefulness and tenderness.

Singularity and Survival, by Talman Wagonmaker
I was surprised to learn that my church's new pastor wrote a science fiction novel! I really did enjoy this book, I thought it was very thoughtful and careful in its approach. The story moves very quickly due to a lot of telling instead of showing, which lends to an abrupt ending. This would be my strongest criticism of the book. More showing sprinkled through out would give it much more punch and flare, and tighten the message. The plot and message is very strong, and I was honestly impressed. I do believe Rev. Wagonmaker can spin a fine tale and I would suggest this book to anyone!

Evaporation of Sofi Snow, by Mary Weber
32969235
I met Mary at Realm Makers, and although I'd heard of her books quite a lot recently, I had yet to pick them up. After meeting her, however, they were bumped immediately up to the top of the list. Mary is warm and compassionate, and this shines through her story. I'm not going to lie, I mostly enjoyed the prose- guys, it made me starry-eyed. I love the complexity of the characters- their personalities shine, the development of each is incredible. I don't know where to begin in talking plot here, because I don't want to give anything away.
Another interesting note about Sofi is that I listened to it on audiobook while driving to and from work, and also on my way up north. I actually do not listen to a lot of audiobooks, I find it hard to pay attention to them. Yet I've discovered that if I am occupied with something else while listening, it is much easier. This one was very easy to listen to, the speaker is quite talented!

I am currently in the midst of Scarlet Moon, by S.D. Grimm, and, I'm excited to share with you that I will also be beta reading the first couple of chapters of....

dun dun dun

DUN DUN

Folkestone Fellowship #2! (Sorry, I've got no Goodreads or Amazon links for you yet.)
But, I AM SO EXCITED.
I do enjoy a good mystery or historical fiction to interrupt my fantasy-book-devouring once in a while, and War of Loyalties by Schuyler McConkey just hit the spot last year. What this means is that there is more Folkestone Fellowship and spies and Terry and Jaeryn for all of us soon. Right?!

Happy reading, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment