Saturday, July 28, 2018

Realm Makers 2018

Ah! I only just realized the end of July is around the corner and I haven't posted even once! July flew by in such a hurry. (Really July, you needn't have done that.)

I attended my first Realm Makers Writer's Conference in St. Louis this month. It was fantastic! Realm Makers is a Christian Speculative Fiction writers conference. The cool thing about it is that a variety of genres are represented here, and while I enjoy the smallness and closeness of Breathe, my preferred genre (fantasy) is not terribly well-represented there. The keynotes, sessions and workshops were more genre-specific (but still broad enough) which was very helpful.
I traveled with writer friends Tricia Mingerink, Emily Hayse, and Schuyler McConkey, and I made new friends, too! I met Nadine Brandes and Jaye L. Knight face to face (totally fangirled) and left with signed books from many of them. (The book problem is only getting worse guys- I found my genre and my people and restraining myself from purchasing out the store was so. hard.) I met Mary Weber and S.D. Grimm and was convinced that I need to read their books post haste. Kathy Tyers was there, and we sang happy birthday to her. (I can't believe it never registered in my brain and I should have brought Truce and Bakura to be signed as well.)
I'm definitely praying about going back. My brain was so full (spinning, how do I put it all together?) and my heart so full.

Image may contain: 4 people, including Schuyler McConkey, Liz Koetsier and Tricia Mingerink, people smiling, people sitting

Then finally, finally, last night, a puzzle piece fell into place and Ember has an ending. It isn't complete yet, but with the ending came an understanding for the antagonist, and I think we can at least stand on mutual ground now. This opens so many deeper, fuller windows for writing the antagonist thanks to a small comment Sara Grimm made to me. (Yes, I just used "the antagonist" twice and no, I'm not sharing any details. If you would like to sign up for my newsletter where I occasionally spill small details and fun facts about Ember, there is a Subscribe To Our Mailing List box on the right hand side of the blog.)

One final note before I go, *whispers* I found the ninja in Fawkes. ;)

2 comments:

  1. It was fun meeting you and fangirling over Timothy Zahn and Kathy Tyers together!

    Yay! It's always awesome when puzzle pieces fall into place! Congrats on finding your ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janelle! I agree and I hope to see you again next year! Woot woot for The Zahn!

      Delete